Friday, April 30, 2010

Prayer Service with the Relics of Saint Dominic Savio


This short biographical note may be read to introduce the prayer service.


Saint Dominic Savio was born to a family that lacked worldly goods but never in their faith. Already a very devout and pious child, his religious fervor grew with his First Holy Communion, his friendship with Jesus and Mary, and offered his life for the love of God. Through his strong faith and religious ways, he was considered as a peacemaker and good friend among his classmates in the Oratory of Don Bosco.

A suitable hymn may be sung while the relic is brought to a suitable place.

Minister: In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
Assembly: Amen.

I. Greeting


Priest: The Lord be with you.
Assembly: And also with you.

If a lay person is leading the prayer service, s/he begins the celebration with these words:

Minister: The Lord God has given us a model of holy youth in Saint Dominic Savio. Let us pray that his example may inspire us to be always in friendship with Jesus and Mary.
Assembly: Amen.

II. Prayer of Contrition


Minister: Brothers and sisters, we are gathered before the relic of Saint Dominic Savio to honor him and to pray for all our needs. Conscious of our faults and weaknesses, let us be sorry for our sins.

The following or any other prayers of contrition may be said by the assembly.

Assembly: My God, I am sorry for having offended you and I detest all my sins for I dread the lost of heaven and the pains of hell. But above all, because I have sinned against you, my God, who are so good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and to amend my life.
Minister: Our Lord Jesus Christ, suffered, died and rose to new life for us.
Assembly: Though his merits, Lord, have mercy on us.


III. Scripture Reading


A reading from the First Letter of Saint Paul to the Corinthians (9:16-27)


If I preach the gospel, this is no reason for me to boast, for an obligation has been imposed on me, and woe to me if I do not preach it! If I do so willingly, I have a recompense, but if unwillingly, then I have been entrusted with a stewardship. What then is my recompense? That, when I preach, I offer the gospel free of charge so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel. Although I am free in regard to all, I have made myself a slave to all so as to win over as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew to win over Jews; to those under the law I became like one under the law--though I myself am not under the law--to win over those under the law. To those outside the law I became like one outside the law--though I am not outside God's law but within the law of Christ--to win over those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, to win over the weak. I have become all things to all, to save at least some. All this I do for the sake of the gospel, so that I too may have a share in it. Do you not know that the runners in the stadium all run in the race, but only one wins the prize? Run so as to win. Every athlete exercises discipline in every way. They do it to win a perishable crown, but we an imperishable one. Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. No, I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified.

The Word of the Lord.

Assembly: Thanks be to God.

The priest may give a short homily.

IV. Prayer to Saint Dominic Savio

Minister: Through the intercession of Saint Dominic Savio, let us present our needs to God, our Loving Father, as we pray: graciously hear us, Lord.

Assembly: Graciously hear us, Lord.

1. Guide the Church’s ministry with the children and the youth, with Saint Dominic, we pray:
2. May governments work for the welfare of the children and the youth, with Saint Dominic, we pray:
3. Give healing and strength to the sick children and young people, with Saint Dominic, we pray:
4. Reconcile to yourself the children and the youth who are away from you because of hatred and sin, with Saint Dominic, we pray:
5. Grant eternal rest to the souls of departed children and young people, with Saint Dominic, we pray:
6. Help us in all our necessities, with Saint Dominic, we pray:

V. Prayer for the Sick

Minister: Let us pray for our sick brother/sister. Look upon Your servant, Lord, suffering from sickness of body, and refresh the soul You have created, so that, purified by this affliction, he (she) may always remember that he (she) has been saved by Your loving pity. We ask this through Christ our Lord.

Assembly: Amen.

The minister takes the relic and raising it towards the sick person, s/he prays:

Through the intercession of Saint John Bosco, may the Lord Jesus Christ be with you to defend you. May He be within you to preserve you, before you to lead you, behind you to guard you, and above you to bless you, who lives and reigns with the Father and the Holy Spirit forever and ever.


VI. Blessing and Dismissal

Priest: The Lord be with you.

Assembly: And also with you.

Priest: May Almighty God bless you: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Assembly: Amen.

Priest: Go in the peace and love of Christ.

Assembly: Thanks be to God.

If a lay person is leading the prayer service, s/he says:

Minister: The Lord has given us an excellent model of holiness of life in Saint Dominic Savio, through his intercession, may the blessing of Almighty God: the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, descend upon us and remain with us always.

Assembly: Amen.

Minister: Let us bless the Lord.

Assembly: And give him thanks.

A suitable hymn may be sung while the assembly venerates the relic.

No comments:

Post a Comment